Thursday, May 21, 2009

Peace by Piece V

The Peace by Piece quilters met for the last time - with me in attendance at least - for dinner in June of 2008. At that time, they surprised me with a present of two beautiful pillows they had made especially for me. How wonderful and how sweet. A beautiful and so meaningful reminder of our great time together, which made my new home so much more like home, right off the bat.
For the front of the pillows, they had constructed these two amazing pictures of zebras drinking Diet Coke with Lime from a straw! I, of course, always drink Diet Coke with Lime from a straw and almost constantly have one of them with me no matter where I go!
The back of the pillow covers were pieced with fabrics from each of their quilts. So I have scraps of all the beautiful fabrics they chose and from which their quilts are being made! What a great idea.Each pillow had a label. I think they may have been making just a tiny bit fun of me when they made the labels. I had talked to them about the necessity of putting a label on each quilt you make, always! Perhaps they thought I had been too emphatic! But this label, surely is wonderful and descriptive.
The other label was very creative, each woman held out her fingers in a "peace" sign on several "pieces" of their fabrics, and it was done in a circle for our group! A lot of symbolism packed into that label.
This is a picture of us, with the pillows, from that last meeting. From left: Marie, Kirsten, Charlotta, Sara, Ela, and Mica. As mentioned previously, Shelby had mostly dropped out by then, so she had not been involved in the pillow project.

What a great time I had with these young creative women. I feel very privileged to have been able to get to know them and hang out with them. So far, I have been able to stay in touch and to meet with them a couple of times on my return trips to Atlanta.

Now I am anxiously awaiting a visit from them, or at least some of them, here to the Vatican!

No comments: