Sunday, October 15, 2006

Housewarming gift

This hanging was made from a very simple kit containing just the panel and a bunch of strips. It was extremely easy to put together and I hand quilted it afterwards. Even in spite of its simplicity, I like it a lot because of the bright fabrics and the fun panel. I gave it to Lisa and Xochtil as a house warming gift.

I have actually purchased a handful of quilt "kits," over the years, but this is the only one I have finished so far! Using kits seems somehow to be cheating, and I think I much prefer to put my own quilts together, pick my own fabrics etc. But there is also something tempting about kits. They eliminate the need for figuring out how much to get of each fabric - or the scarier proposition of trying to figure out if I have enough of the various prints to do what I have in mind. And they may eliminate some of the cutting which is not my most favorite part of quilting.

I hope to get around to doing some of my other kits before too long.

No comments: