Saturday, December 15, 2007

Crazy or Liberated Nine Patches

The term "liberated quilting or piecing" is used - by me at least! - to describe methods of making quilts which doesn't use traditional blocks and settings but are more free-form, less rigorous and linear. I have several books with inspirations and/or directions for that type of quilting, and I have long admired my friend Helen Thompson's quilts, which are spontaneous and beautiful.

While it really is a contradiction in terms to use patterns to make "liberated quilts," I used one from a book, The Casual Quilter, by Robin Strobel, to make this quilt of crazy or tipsy 9-patches. I used bright fabrics bought some years back following inspiration from Taffy who made lots of amazing very bright quilts.

I gave the quilt, which was machine quilted by Regina Carter, to Hannah when she graduated from nursing school. In this picture Hannah and her mother, Murphy, hold the quilt.

No comments: