Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Pink top for Sarah

I made this pink top - hand pieced all but the borders of it - for my friend and colleague, Sarah Geraghty. When Sarah came to the Southern Center as a student, she learned that I was a quilter and we talked about it and her interest in it as well. A while later, she was kind enough to pick up and send me some Liberty fabrics while she worked in London for a spell.

Later, Sarah came to work at the Center as an attorney, and we tried to do some quilting together. Sarah LOVES pink, so for her 30th birthday I pulled almost all of my pink fabrics, and gave them to her hoping it would encourage her to make a pink quilt for herself. She started cutting a few pieces but never really found the time to become serious about it. She works so hard and diligently - doing wonderfully creative and effective work for poor people in prisons and jails in Georgia and Alabama - and takes very little time for herself or anything else besides work.

So, a couple of years later, seeing that she was getting nowhere, I asked if I could have the pinks back and make a top for her. She agreed and I made this. It was constructed with 9-patches - as are all of the monochromatic quilts I have made so far. Each block has nine 3" squares of different fabrics. I am not sure how many different fabrics are in the quilt in all, but I would guess it is well over 30. Parts of the Liberty fabrics Sarah originally gave me are in it.

After I finished the top and gave it to her - it is shown here at the Southern Center held by Mica and Anne - Sarah had it machine quilted by Regina Carter. Last I knew, she still had not put a binding on it but was using it on her bed.

No comments: